Assault: Jonathan Majors’ sentencing stalled till April 8, 2024

Jonathan Michael Majors is an American actor, born on September 7, 1989, in Lompoc, California, U.S.

In a fresh twist of events, Jonathan Majors‘ sentencing has been stalled until April 8, 2024.

This development comes after his defense team filed a motion to set aside the verdict.

In December, the ’Creed III’ actor was convicted of reckless assault in the third degree, a misdemeanor, and harassment in the second degree, which happens to be a violation.

Following this convictions, the actor risk up to one year in prison.

Majors made a virtual appearance for the sentencing, which was initially set to take place on Tuesday, February 6, 2024.

In their response, the prosecutors asked for more time to respond to the motion by the defense, which was filed on Monday, February 5, 2024.

How it started

The incidents leading to the actor’s conviction dates back to March 25.

It all began when Majors and his ex-partner, Grace Jabbari, struggled over his phone in a car.

According to Jabbari, she saw a message on his phone that made her think he was cheating. She took his phone, and Majors hurt her while trying to take it back.
He grabbed her finger, hit her head, and threw her back into the car.

In the new motion, Majors attorney, Priya Chaudhry, asks the court to set aside the guilty verdicts and enter judgements of acquittal.
Priya argued that the court presented two inconsistent assault counts to the jury, in the fact that counts of both reckless assault and intentional assault were submitted to the jury for consideration.

The jury did not find Majors guilty of intentional assault in the third degree.

The motion

The motion reads, “A careful analysis of the trial record shows that there is quite simply no evidence that Mr. Majors acted recklessly, as opposed to intentionally (or not at all), let alone enough such evidence to support a verdict beyond a reasonable doubt that Mr. Majors committed reckless assault.”

On the harassment charge, the defense argues that prosecution did not prove that Majors put Jabbari back into the car with the specific intent of “harassing annoying of alarming her,” but rather say he was trying to get away from her, as is evidenced by video footage of him running away from the car.

“The Court has already heard and rejected the arguments supporting this motion when the defense originally raised them during the trial.
The jury then convicted Mr. Majors of Assault in the 3rd Degree and Harassment in the 2nd Degree. We will respond in detail in court papers,” a spokesperson for the district attorney’s office said in a statement.

Response

Prosecutors have until March 5 to issue a response. Judge Michael Gaffey, who oversaw the trial and the hearing Monday, said he would make a decision on the motion by April 1.

Initially, legal experts said Majors was unlikely to face prison time.

This follows his lack of prior criminal history. However, Majors gave an interview on Good Morning America in January.
In the interview, he denied wrongdoing, that legal experts say could impact his sentence.

Shortly after the arrest, Marvel Studios ended their relationship with Majors. He was also dropped from Dennis Rodman movie 48 Hours in Vegas.
But, is previously shot film, Magazine Dreams, is back on the market.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here